To recommend a comprehensive statewide discovery solution to the Statewide Resource Sharing Committee.
- Describe a discovery solution that Massachusetts library users and residents can use to easily find and obtain the wide array of resources and formats available through the state’s libraries;
- Determine to what extent statewide discovery might be able to support locally licensed content;
- Review and evaluate current commercial and open source products and services, with support for mobile devices and ADA compliance as guiding principles;
- Examine the suitability of the new Massachusetts Virtual Catalog as a core component of the discovery solution;
- Define the relationship between statewide discovery and tools already provided at the institutional (primarily academic libraries) or consortial level;
- Outline funding needs and ongoing support mechanisms needed for the management of the discovery solution.
Time frame: 8 months – Recommendation to Resource Sharing group by April 2013