State Aid Review Committee 2006
State Aid Review Committee (SARC) Charter
The desired outcome of the committee review process will be a report of recommendations for the state aid to public libraries program that will meet the needs of the public library community in the 21st century. There will be agreement of all committee members and the library community for the recommendations regarding the state aid program. The desired state envisions that the library community will support the recommended state aid to public libraries program and use the program to support and develop improved library services for the Commonwealth's residents.
- Review of the current state aid program.
- Review of state aid programs in other states.
- Communication of the progress of the review committee process to the Board of Library
- Commissioners and the library community.
- Development of a final committee report of recommendations for a next generation State Aid to Public Libraries program for the Board of Library Commissioners.
The committee will remain a recommending body.
Committee members must stay invigorated with and focused on thinking not implementation; the committee members will communicate recommendations to the Board of Library Commissioners, but will not become involved in the implementation.
Decisions will be made by consensus of committee members with a fall back to a simple majority vote if consensus cannot be reached. The conveners will arrange the logistics of committee meetings/events (e.g. space, agenda, time allotted for all decisions, etc.).
- Committee work will end by June 2007.
- The Board and the public library community will be kept informed of the work and the team's progress throughout the process.
- The state aid review process will not be a forum to discuss specific library-related issues, but to think broadly about the state aid to public libraries program.
- Committee members will have no hidden agendas and will focus their work on the tasks at hand.
The committee sponsors are Em Claire Knowles, Chair, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners (MBLC); John Arnold, Commissioner, MBLC; Ed Bertorelli, Commissioner, MBLC.
The committee will be accountable to the committee sponsors and the Board of Library Commissioners for results accomplished through its work.
Roles and Responsibilities
SARC members have specific roles and will assume the responsibilities associated with fulfilling those roles.
Committee Sponsors: Em Claire Knowles, Chair, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners; John Arnold, Commissioner; Ed Bertorelli, Commissioner.
Committee Conveners: Rob Maier, Director, Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners; Dianne Carty, Head of State Aid; James Lonergan, State Aid Specialist.
Committee Members: 29 members appointed by the Board of Library Commissioners. The charge of the committee approved by the Board of Library Commissioners on June 1, 2006 is: " The committee will assess the role of a state aid program in improving library services through review of the current state aid program and review of approaches in other states, and will develop a next generation program for recommendation to the Board of Library Commissioners."
Facilitator. Staff, Board and Executive Director will serve as resource and subcommittee leaders.