DATE: September 17, 2009
Board Announces Violence Awareness Workshop
This workshop was developed to help library trustees and library staff members deal more capably with hostile situations, so they can reduce stress levels, create a safe environment for library users, and reduce the occurrences of crisis situations. Most people can learn these defusing skills. The goal is to become practiced in defusing hostility so it becomes second nature, so that successful defusing responses replace less effective ones. This will make your library a safe place for the public and the staff and it will enhance the reputation of the library in the community. This workshop will be presented by Dr. E. Wallace Coyle, President, E. Wallace Coyle Associates.
Focus will be on learning five skills:
1. Recognize warning signs that suggest potential violence in library customers
2. Understand techniques for dealing with hostile situations
3. What to Look and Listen for in working with the public
4. What NOT to do in defusing difficult situations in the library
5. Understand verbal escalation skills
The workshop is free, however, registration is required. Registration is limited to 62 people-- please register early. You may register by email to: Maureen.Killoran@state.ma.us
Please include your name, title and library when you register.