Is your library in an emergency? Follow these steps, or contact us right away.
- Consult your disaster plan.
- Contact the library's insurance agent.
- Ensure that you have been given permission to access the building by the fire and/or police department(s) for safety reasons [if applicable].
- Assess the extent of the damage with the insurance agent unless you are given permission to proceed without the agent. If so, document all actions taken.
- Determine what action should be taken to recover the affected materials and what supplies are needed.
- Make a decision as to whether you feel you can handle the situation alone or whether you need outside assistance.
- If the amount of affected materials is not large, and the staff feels able to handle the salvage themselves, contact the nearest site listed below for recovery supplies (Rescubes and ReactPaks).
- Using the supplies, institutional staff should proceed according to the procedures outlined in their disaster preparedness plan, if there is one. Otherwise, seek advice from the designated Board staff.
- Contact the MBLC for telephone and/or on-site assistance.
- If MBLC assistance is not available, call the Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) at 855-245-8303 (24 hours a day) for telephone and/or on-site assistance.
If the amount of damaged materials is substantial and beyond the capabilities of the library's staff, designated MBLC or NEDCC staff can authorize a call to the contracted recovery vendor for packing, freezing, and drying the materials.Library Emergency Checklist (PDF)
Storage Sites for Recovery Supplies
|Memorial Hall Library, Andover||(978) 623-8400|
|Boston Public Library||(617) 536-5400|
|Bridgewater Public Library||(508) 697-3331|
|Falmouth Public Library||(508) 457-2555|
|Fitchburg Public Library||(978) 345-9635|
|Greenfield Public Library||(413) 772-1544|
|Nantucket Athenaeum||(508) 228-1110|
|New Bedford Free Public Library||(508) 991-6275|
|Forbes Library, Northampton||(413) 584-8550|
|Berkshire Athenaeum, Pittsfield||(413) 499-9480|
|Thomas Crane Public Library, Quincy||(617) 376-1300|
|Springfield City Library||(413) 263-6800|
|Wellesley Free Library||(781) 235-1610|
|West Tisbury Free Public Library||(508) 693-3366|
|Worcester Public Library||(508) 799-1655|