Public Library Data
The Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners collects and analyzes public library financial, demographic, staffing, and service data.
Public library directors may access the Reports Manager section of LibPAS (username and password required) to create your own reports.
Data can be accessed through the following links without a username or password. (Data collected beginning in FY2010 can be downloaded into an Excel spreadsheet -- see instructions at the bottom of this page.)
- Holdings (print and non-print library holdings)
- Circulation (total circulation-includes ILL provided to other libraries; direct circulation-circulation to users only; circulation by format)
- Children's Services (FTE, holdings, circulation and services for children)
- Staffing (as of July 1, FTE and hours worked)
- Electronic Services (internet use, e-content expenditures, network membership fees)
- Financial Data (income and expenditures)
- Friends, Trustees, Foundations and Governance
- Municipal Pie--What's Your Library's Share? (expenditures for public libraries as reported by the municipality to the department of revenue)
- Main Library Facilities (square footage, year library was built, parking spaces, seating in the library, meeting room use)
- Outlets (data for bookmobiles and branches)
- Salaries (as of July 1, hourly salary ranges for staff)
- Library Services (hours, reference questions, programs and visits)
- Summary Data (summary of staff, services and financial data) and (summary of information about the public library directors)
While viewing a report, click on the Excel icon in the lower left corner of the page to download it as an Excel spreadsheet.
Once the download is complete, you'll see this box. Choose whether you want to open the file or save it to your computer, then click OK.
If you see this message when Excel opens, click "Yes." You should now be able to view the report as a spreadsheet.