General Laws of Massachusetts (Chap 78)
The laws pertaining to the Board of Library Commissioners and libraries in the Commonwealth are contained in Chapter 78 of the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Section 7. Public libraries; establishment by cities and towns; records
- Section 8. Use of facilities by non-residents
- Section 9. Return of unwanted state publications
- Section 10. Town libraries; selection of trustees and officers
- Section 11. Board of trustees; powers and duties
- Section 12. Annual report of trustees.
- Section 13. Applicability of sections relating to trustees
Board of Library Commissioners
- Section 14. Establishment of board of library commissioners; members; appointment; term; by-laws; reimbursement; officers; staff
- Section 15. Duties relating to management and maintenance of libraries
- Section 16--18. Repealed, 1960, 429, Sec. 5
- Section 19. Powers, duties and status of board
- Section 19A. State aid; determination
- Section 19B. State aid; annual reports by libraries; requisites for aid
- Section 19C. Regional public library service; annual appropriation
- Section 19D. Regional public library service; council of members
- Section 19E. Library media services; comprehensive statewide program; funds; standards
- Section 19F. Regional public library service; arrangement for delivery and retrieval of materials or services
- Section 19G. State assistance for public library projects
- Section 19H. Definitions
- Section 19I. Application for and distribution of funds
- Section 19J. Allocation of funds; priorities
- Section 19K. Gifts and grants
- Section 19L. Library and information network
- Section 19M. Statewide advisory council on cooperative library programs
- Section 19N. Rules and regulations.
- Section 20. Librarians; appointment; examination; registration
- Section 21. Inapplicability of certain sections to cities
Certification of Librarians
- Section 22. Certification of librarians.
- Section 23. Board meetings; quorum.
- Section 24. Definitions.
- Section 25. Rules and regulations.
- Section 26. Repealed, 1977, 565, Sec. 6.
- Section 27. Clerical assistance, etc.; expenditures.
- Section 28. Duties of board.
- Section 29. Librarians; qualifications.
- Section 30. Fees.
- Section 31. Status of existing librarians; certificates.
- Section 32. Library staff members; leaves of absence for study or research.
- Section 33. Policy for selection and use of library materials and facilities.
- Section 34. Employment contracts for library employees.